Notes on the care of the elderly at home
Take care of the elderly requires patience and love. When it comes to late afternoon, mental and physical changes of the elderly are easy to do reduced quality of life, even danger to life. Refer to the article below to better understand the important considerations in caring for and ensuring the health of the elderly, both physically and mentally, to help them live a healthy and healthy life with their families and grandchildren.
After retirement, the elderly often feel alone in their homes because their children and grandchildren are busy from morning to night. They easily fall into a state of psychological crisis such as feeling lonely, nostalgic, anxious, or pessimistic, hot-tempered … Depression, boredom make them lack the energy and confidence to cope with problems. old age health.
When they reach the late afternoon, they often easily suffer from heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes, malnutrition,…. Besides, the ability of the elderly to absorb nutrients is also very limited, so it is easy to lead to a deficiency of important nutrients for the body.
Answer the following 8 questions and take reasonable action to help the elderly in the family lead a quality and happy life.
- Can parents – grandparents, the elderly in your family, be able to take care of themselves? For example bathing, eating, oral hygiene … These points tell you about the self-care status of the elderly and on that basis you plan the best support action.
- Do they suffer from memory loss or loss? Check with a few questions such as, “What’s for breakfast this morning? Yesterday to drink a few glasses of milk “… or notice a few stories and events that the elderly say over and over again? … this helps you to identify the memory status of the elderly and can provide Useful information for doctors when they need medical help.
- Are they really safe at home alone? Check paths, stairs, doorstep, third shelf; sharp, flammable tools and home medicine cabinets … Make sure they are safe for the elderly.
- Are they really safe on the road? Check eyesight, hearing, dexterity and normal motor ability. Make sure that the above abilities are good enough to join traffic even when walking on the road.
- Did they lose weight? Lose weight without a plan or without a plan. It is possible that there is a pathological abnormality in the elderly. There are many health risk factors that should be considered as follows:
- Unsuitable food (not delicious due to aging olfactory taste …) leads to difficult eating and poor digestion, the body does not absorb enough necessary nutrients.
- Inappropriate nutrition includes:
- Lack of quantity (skipping meals, forgetting meals) to reduce the composition of nutrients (not enough food groups: carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins – minerals, fiber and water …) and to diversify dishes. daily. For fats, choose plant sterols that help lower cholesterol and help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in the elderly.)
- Not drinking enough water. Need to regularly remind the elderly to drink water, do not wait until feeling thirsty to drink.
- Supplement lack of fiber, affecting the digestive system
- Meal distribution incorrectly in terms of frequency and time of eating (eating at the wrong time, not having enough quantity each meal, eating too late or too early according to habit or before bed …)
- Symptoms of diseases such as diabetes, cancer … You need to bring the elderly to a health check as soon as possible.
- Is their mental state good? Observe the elderly’s daily behavior and moods. Do they still take care of the pleasures of old age such as planting ornamental plants, raising fish, taking care of their children, walking around the garden, helping neighbors … or sad, little contact?
- Are they still interested in and excited about social activities? Have an interest, plan to visit friends near and far, neighbors; join associations, clubs, outdoor activities, parks…? If these activities are fading or even disappearing, the status quo is not good! You need support, sharing and fixes. If not, the transition to a pathology is unavoidable, especially depression of the elderly!
- Is the ability to walk and do light exercise around the house or in the garden? Observe these possibilities carefully and the elderly should be examined promptly by a specialist in Mechanical – Bone – Joint – Neuropathy if found to have a problem.
Children and grandchildren in the family should also practice the habit of drinking milk for the elderly to help the body have enough nutrients, strong bones, and supple body. Every day, the elderly should drink 2 glasses of milk, especially about 1 hour before going to bed, should drink 1 glass of warm milk to have a better, deeper sleep.
In addition, encouraging the elderly to exercise regularly with gentle exercises, sports that help increase resistance and improve mood as well as prevent old-age diseases.
Tin nổi bật